Visitors to each of the University of New Mexico campuses are responsible for following all current public health orders and for taking all steps needed to minimize the possible transmission of COVID-19. The COVID Safe Practices described at Expectations for the Pack apply to visitors; see the State of New Mexico COVID Safe Practices (CSPs) and Public Health Orders.
Campus visitors who are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 should not come to any UNM campus.
All visitors to UNM campuses must adhere to the Masks and Face Coverings guidance and comply with posted COVID signage.
Types of Visitors
- Student and family tours require a reservation. We also offer a Virtual Campus Tour through the Admissions Office.
- Members of the general public may visit UNM campuses but must adhere to the Masks and Face Coverings guidance when indoors.
- Continuing Education students must wear masks in classrooms and in all UNM and Continuing Education facilities, as well as follow COVID-safe practices. Continuing Education students are not required to demonstrate proof of vaccination at this time.
- Campus dining locations will continue to serve the campus community and visitors. To view current hours, visit food.unm.edu.
- UNM Bookstores are open for UNM students, faculty, staff, and visitors. Please continue to check bookstore.unm.edu for current store hours and to learn more about the safety protocols required for in-person services.
- Family and Friends of students living on campus are welcome but must adhere to the Masks and Face Coverings guidance when inside residence halls.
- Volunteers are required to follow UNM’s COVID Safe Practices. Those who are fully vaccinated may choose to provide a copy of their vaccination record to their supervisor to retain with their department’s HR representative.However, unvaccinated or partially vaccinated volunteers should complete the alternative screening form each day prior to providing service to UNM.
The volunteer should retain each completed form and be prepared to submit the completed forms to their supervisor, if requested.
- Collaborating Researchers from other entities (Sandia National Laboratories, etc.) are required to follow UNM’s COVID Safe Practices.
Those who are fully vaccinated may choose to provide a copy of their vaccination record to their lead UNM Collaborator.
However, unvaccinated or partially vaccinated collaborating researchers should complete the alternative screening form* each day prior to arriving at UNM. The Researcher should retain the completed forms and be prepared to submit the completed forms to their lead UNM Collaborator, if requested.
- Interviewees for UNM jobs should follow protocols as shared by the hiring committee that align with UNM’s COVID Safe Practices.
- For the sake of these guidelines, Vendors and Contractors are not considered “visitors” and have their own guidelines for compliance at UNM under the University’s COVID operations. See the Vendor and Contractor Business Process page for more information.
*Collaborating Researchers at the HSC Campus must follow the protocols outlined for Vendors and Contractors.
Visitors to UNM Clinical Facilities
UNM recognizes its obligations under the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) and the UNM Police Department will ensure that those individuals seeking treatment at the UNM Hospitals, including the Emergency Department, Cancer Center and other medical clinics are not interfered with in that process so they can receive an appropriate medical screening examination, stabilization, and/or treatment, as the case may be.
Visitors to UNM Hospital, the Emergency Department, Cancer Center and other medical clinics will need to comply with UNM Hospital and clinic policies relative to visitors during the COVID-19 pandemic.