We will strive to provide a clear outline of what moving out will look like for the winter recess, and be as transparent and upfront as possible with you about our process if some or all of housing would need to close throughout the semester. For all financial information related to hall closures, please see the Financial Adjustments section of this document.
Planned End of Semester Closures
We are optimistic that RLSH will be able to operate the residence halls for the complete fall semester, and to that end will be closing the main campus traditional residence halls at 2:00PM on Saturday, December 12, 2020, as originally outlined in the housing contract. RLSH is planning that the main campus apartments (SRC and RVA), as well as Rainforest and Student Family Housing, will remain open for the duration of winter recess.
UNM has outlined a change to the fall course calendar which includes the removal of fall break and the end of in-person coursework on Wednesday, November 25, 2020. RLSH recognizes that for some students this means you will plan to travel or leave campus at Thanksgiving break and not return until the spring semester begins; therefore students who check-out of their residence hall room at Thanksgiving will be given a CREDIT toward the spring portion of their housing contract. To be clear, a credit is not a refund; credits are funds which are applied to future housing charges. Any credits would be subject to discounts for scholarship, financial aid, and merit and/or grant aid.
The credit amount will be 10% of the fall semester room rate charge, and only offered to those who fulfill all the following conditions:
- The student returns their keys to the appropriate area or SRC desk no later than 8AM on Monday, November 30, 2020;
- The student packs their rooms according to the instructions in this document for End of Semester Closure; and
- Returns to campus enrolled for at least 6 credits in the spring semester, and completes the spring check-in procedures to return to your room no later than the second day of class for the spring semester
Students who depart for the fall semester, either at Thanksgiving or in December, will be permitted to leave belongings in their rooms only if all items left in the room are packed into a “speed-pak” box which RLSH will provide to each student that needs one. Students will only get one box to pack their belongings and everything must either fit in the box or be taken with the resident at the time they leave the residence hall. Please see the section on “Moving Out & Managing Belongings” that outlines what you will be expected to do with your belongings in the instance that you are required to depart from campus.
RLSH is identifying four types of unanticipated closures:
- Partial Closure - the closing of individual residence halls;
- A partial closure would likely be the result of a cluster spread of COVID-19 related to a specific residence hall
- FOR EXAMPLE: there is spread showing in “X” Hall, but other residence halls appear unaffected; we may close only “X” Hall while keeping the other residence halls open
- Intermittent Closure - the closure of all residence halls for a short-term basis;
- An intermittent closure would likely be the result of a cluster spread of COVID-19 within multiple residence hall communities, or related to a campus wide decision to reduce the density and presence of people on campus for a period of time, well before the planned end of the semester, with the intent to return people to campus before the end of the semester
- FOR EXAMPLE: in early October UNM determines that main campus should return to limited operations for a 3 week period but plans to return at the beginning of November. The residence halls would close for the duration that UNM is on limited operations and only those who demonstrate an absolute need to stay would be allowed to remain in on campus housing.
- Early Semester Closure - the closure of the residence halls for a short-term basis which immediately precedes the originally planned end of the semester;
- An early semester closure would likely be related to a campus wide decision to reduce the density and presence of people on campus for a period of time, which precedes the planned end of the semester closure, with the intent to return people to campus at the beginning of the next semester
- FOR EXAMPLE: on November 10, UNM determines that campus should return to limited operations and does not plan to return to full operation until the spring semester. The residence halls would close for the duration that UNM is on limited operations and only those who demonstrate and absolute need to stay would be allowed to remain in on campus housing.
- Contract Termination Closure - the closure of the residence halls which result in the early termination of the entire remaining housing contract term.
- A contract termination closure would be related to a campus wide decision to reduce the density and presence of people on campus without the foreseeable return to campus for the duration of the housing contract.
As a permanent reference point on the details related to RLSH’s unanticipated closure plan, and any updates we make throughout the semester, please visit: http://housing.unm.edu/coronavirus.html. We will maintain this page with any information related to closures throughout the semester/year, and where appropriate we will email those updates to students via their UNM email.
In the event there is a partial or intermittent closure, it is possible that you may be asked to:
- Relocate to another residence hall; and/or
- Depart from campus, unless granted an exception to remain.
The next section outlines what you will be expected to do with your belongings in the instance that you are required to depart from campus.
Moving Out & Managing Belongings
In the instance that RLSH must institute a partial, intermittent, or early semester closure, all affected residents will be required to vacate the residence halls within five (5) calendar days of RLSH releasing notice of the closure.
Residents will be expected to complete an Express Check-Out and potentially return keys (depending on the type and anticipated duration of the closure). This will be done at the SRC desk for any main campus residents and at the Rainforest desk for any residents at Rainforest.
Residents will be permitted to leave belongings in their rooms only if all items left in the room are packed into a “speed-pak” box which RLSH will provide to each student that needs one. Students will only get one box to pack their belongings into and everything must either fit in the box or be taken with the resident at the time they leave the residence hall.
If any of these temporary closures transition into a contract termination closure, RLSH will work with a local moving and storage company to remove the speed-paks from student rooms. Any student wishing to have their belongings shipped to them will be responsible for the full pre-paid cost of shipping and coordinating that request according to the instructions RLSH will provide at the time of the closure. Any belongings in student rooms which are not packed into the provided speed-pak will not be boxed, moved, or stored by the moving company; these unpacked belongings will be removed from the room and discarded.
For those residents not wishing to cover the cost of shipping, RLSH will pay for the cost of storage for 4 months after the closure. Students will need to make arrangements directly with the storage company to collect their belongings within the 4-month timeframe. Responsibility for any belongings remaining in storage after the 4-months will transfer to the resident to assume the cost of continued storage of their belongings.
Contract Termination Closure
Should the original closure announcement be a contract termination closure, all residents will be required to vacate the residence halls within five calendar days of RLSH releasing notice of the closure, and residents will be responsible for removing all of their belongings at the time they vacate. Any belongings left behind will be removed from rooms and discarded. RLSH will not pack, store, move, or ship any belongings left behind by residents if a contract termination closure is announced.
In the instance a student is unable to take all their belongings at the time they vacate, they can request a speed-pak and will be provided information for local moving and storage for coordinating their own moving and storage solution.
RLSH anticipates it will maintain a very limited exception process for students who demonstrate an absolute need to stay on campus in the event of a contact termination closure.