Temporary Annual Leave (Policy)
Temporary Increase to Maximum Annual Leave Accruals for Faculty and Staff: Main, Branch and HSC Campuses (Non-UNMH)
Last updated: September 29, 2021
During our limited operations due to the Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19), the University of New Mexico recognizes that various circumstances have impacted employees’ ability to utilize their annual leave. In response to employee feedback, a temporary change to University Administrative Policy 3400: Annual Leave, Section 4.1: Maximum Allowable Balance has been approved by President Stokes.
Effective July 1, 2020, the maximum allowable accrued annual leave has been increased from 252 hours to 308 hours. This increase is temporary and will be in effect until June 30, 2022 (extension from original expiration date of December 31, 2021 announced September 29, 2021).
Details of implementation:
- Any annual leave balances exceeding 252 on June 30, 2022, will be forfeited and the available hours will be reduced to 252. Employees will not be compensated or paid out for forfeited hours.
- There are no changes to annual leave payout policies. The existing caps for paying employees who have separated from the University for unused annual leave will remain the same (168 hours upon voluntary separation and 252 hours upon retirement, involuntary separation or death.)
- The rate of annual leave accrual will remain unchanged. Eligible employees will continue to accrue a maximum of 14 hours per month (exempt employees) or 6.47 hours per biweekly pay period (non-exempt employees), accruals are pro-rated based on appointment percentage.
- Post-Doctoral Fellows who accrue annual leave at a different rate and are subject to a different maximum amount (10 hours per month up to a max of 180 hours), will have their maximum allowable balance increased by the equivalent of four months of annual leave accruals, an increase up to a temporary new max of 220 hours.
- This change does not apply to Resident Physicians/House Officers, whose annual leave accruals and usage are governed by their respective Regulation and Benefit Manual.
Email email@example.com with questions.