Additional COVID-19 Paid Leave
Expansion of Sick Leave
Last updated: September 24, 2021
The University continues to closely monitor the ongoing Novel Coronavirus 2019 (COVID- 19) pandemic. The health and well-being of our community remains our number one priority. In order to support employees of the University community, UNM is expanding the provisions of sick leave for eligible employees by providing up to two weeks (80 hours), pro-rated based on appointment percentage, of Additional COVID-19 Paid Leave to those impacted by COVID-19, if situational telecommuting is not an option. Guidelines for this paid leave are as follows:
- Staff who are eligible for sick leave. Please refer to the applicable UNM Policy (University Administrative Policy 3410: Sick Leave) or collective bargaining agreement to determine eligibility for sick leave.
- Employee is not able to situationally telework.
- Leave Allowance
- Employees will be eligible to use up to 80 hours of additional paid leave, independent of any previously taken COVID-related leave (e.g., FFRCA E-PSL or E-FML).
- Criteria for use:
- Have been advised by the UNM COVID Call Center to quarantine/isolate/test due to COVID-19.
- Caring for a family member who has tested positive for COVID-19 or required to self-isolate by their health care provider.
- Time away from work as a result of complying with COVID mandates and safe practices.
- Caring for a dependent whose school or place of care is temporarily closed due to COVID-19.
- Prior to requesting paid leave, supervisors must first explore opportunities for situational telework.
- Department Timekeepers should use Earn Code 381 – Emergency Paid Sick Leave when entering bi-weekly time for non-exempt employees and for monthly leave reporting for exempt employee when utilizing this leave type.
- To request paid leave, employees should submit requests via the Additional COVID Paid Leave Form
- If employees require more than two weeks of leave, they are encouraged to utilize accrued sick or annual leave.
- Effective dates of paid leave are September 11, 2021 through May 31, 2022, subject to change.
- If managers/supervisors have questions about this leave for essential personnel, they should discuss with college/division leadership.
- Department leadership may also seek assistance from:
- Staff – HR Client Services at email@example.com